The first planting of our peas are up and we can see the rows very well now. They are looking great.Â Peas are a cold weather corp and can handle a few degrees of frost much better than asparagus.
This is our daughter, Angieâ€™s favorite asparagus recipe. It is very easy, but also very impressive. Angie & her family live in Fort McMurray. Every spring we send her batches of asparagus. The best way we have found to get fresh asparagus to her is through a very kind man who works in Fort McMurray that visits our booth at The Old Strathcona Farmerâ€™s Market in Edmonton on Saturdays. We send several bundles with him and he delivers fresh asparagus to her. How lucky is that? (more…)
If you are a blue cheese lover, then this recipe is for you. Doug & I both love blue cheese and race each other for the last morsel.
- 1 lb. Edgar Farms fresh asparagus
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. chives â€“ minced
- 4 Tbsp. blue cheese â€“ crumbled
- white pepper â€“ freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a small bowl mix red wine vinegar, olive oil, chives and blue cheese.
- Steam asparagus spears for 5 min. and drain well.
- Arrange hot spears on an oven proof serving platter. Pour blue cheese mixture over asparagus and season with plenty of white pepper to taste.
- Bake for about 5 min. until the cheese is hot and just starting to melt. Serve hot.
It is only a myth that this is difficult to make. It is incredibly easy and tastes so much better than the packaged mixes from the store.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Â½ tsp. salt
- 2 dropsÂ red pepper sauce
- 1 cupÂ butter -Â boiling
Heat blender bowl with boiling water. Mix all ingredients except butter in hot blender. Add boiling butter very slowly while mixing on low speed. Pour over hot asparagus and enjoy.
NOTE: ThisÂ sauceÂ goes great with Randy’s Steak Neptune
Our son-in-law, Randy, treats us to Steak Neptune with fresh asparagus every spring. This is a real hit with our family. A very impressive meal that is extremely quick and easy to prepare.
- Tenderloin steaks â€“ 1 for each guest
- Crab meat or imitation crab (pollock)
- Edgar Farms steamed asparagus (about 5-6 spears for each chicken breast)
- Hollandaise sauce
Barbeque the steaks until desired doneness, lay on a cookie sheet then top with crab and lightly steamed asparagus. Drizzle with hollandaise sauce and broil in the oven for a few minutes until lightly browned and warmed through.
- 1 Round Roast, 3-4 lbs.
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 6 T extra virgin olive oil
- 4 T red wine vinegar
- 2 T garlic, minced
- 4 t chilli powder
- 3 t dried oregano
- 2 t salt
- 1 t freshly ground pepper
- 1 t ground cinnamon
Wisk together marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Makes about 2 cups of marinade.
Pierce roast all over with BBQ fork or sharp knife. Place roast and marinade in large ziplock bag and ensure roast is evenly coated with marinade. Seal bag and marinate in fridge 24-48 hours. Remove roast from bag, and pat dry, reserving marinade. Let roast sit at room temperature 20 minutes. Preheat BBQ on high heat (about 500oF). Sear roast on all sides with direct heat, turning frequently for 15-20min or until meat is caramelized well. Lower heat to medium (about 400oF) and roast a further 1 â€“ 1 Â½ hours using indirect heat (to prevent flare ups) until roast reaches desired temperature on meat thermometer. Meanwhile, place reserved marinade in a small pot and boil 5 min. Baste with the boiled marinade and turn the roast every 15-20 minutes during the last 1 â€“ 1 Â½ hours of cooking time.
This recipe also works great on the rotisserie
Enjoy this delicious recipe!
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced leeks (white and pale green parts only; about 1 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 8 cups pea tendrils, left intact
Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add leek; cover and cook until leek is soft but not brown, stirring often. Increase heat to medium high; add garlic and mushrooms and sautÃ© until mushrooms begin to brown. Add pea tendrils; cook until pea tendrils just begin to wilt, tossing often, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy.
Our son-in-law treats us to Chicken Neptune with fresh asparagus every spring!
- Chicken breasts â€“ 1 for each guest
- Crab meat or imitation crab (pollock)
- Steamed asparagus
- Hollandaise sauce â€“ see below
BBQ the chicken breasts until fully cooked, lay on a cookie sheet then top with crab and lightly steamed asparagus. Drizzle with hollandaise sauce and broil in the oven for a few minutes until lightly browned and warmed through!
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 drops red pepper sauce
- 1 cup butter, boiling
Heat the blender bowl with boiling water. Mix all ingredients except butter in hot blender. Add boiling butter slowly while mixing on low speed until thickened. Pour over hot asparagus and enjoy!
A great asparagus recipe idea to try this Summer!
- 1 lb. Asparagus
- 2 fresh tomatoes, cubed
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 250 mL feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 cups rottini or shell pasta, cooked
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing
Boil asparagus for 2 minutes or until slightly cooked but still crunchy. Chill in ice cold water. Cut into 1″ pieces. Add tomatoes, feta cheese onions and pasta. Drizzle with dressing and serve!